MENU

VIDEO: Tennessee family urges caution after Christmas lights lead to house fire

poster_e15aaceecaf341cf901a58ed841efe0d.jpg
A Columbia, Tenn., family said a single strand of Christmas lights led to their house catching on fire -- and now they’re urging people to use caution when decking the halls. (Courtesy: Mary Morrison)

COLUMBIA, Tenn. (WZTV) — A Columbia, Tenn., family said a single strand of Christmas lights led to their house catching on fire -- and now they’re urging people to use caution when decking the halls.

Mary Morrison said the lights somehow caught fire at about 2:45 a.m. on Tuesday. Video shows the blaze spreading to nearby shrubs and eventually to the house by 3:47 a.m.

Thankfully, the family was woken up by smoke detectors.

Morrison said all of the Christmas lights were new and the outlet wasn’t overloaded – but they did make the mistake of leaving the lights on all the time.

“A mistake many make, but could cost them their life,” Morrison wrote. “Luckily, our smoke detectors saved our lives yesterday.”

When the family woke up, smoke had already filled their kitchen and the front of the house was on fire.

The Maury County Fire Department arrived soon after the family called 911. Most of the damage was confined to the outside of the house and is repairable, but Morrison said the siding will have to be replaced.

Morrison said the lights were purchased from Walmart and were used only for a couple weeks before the fire broke out.

“Our mistake was leaving them on 24/7, we thought because it was only one strand of lights and we weren't overloading an outlet, we would be okay. It is the most terrifying thing to be woken up to a fire on your home,” Morrison wrote.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER